A Gallery Opening, Lane Strolling and that Quiet Burger King.

Posted on: February 5, 2010

Last Wednesday was iconic and still in so many ways, I have no idea where to begin.

9.30am was probably the time I woke up. No more French classes in the evening so that meant Wednesday was no-school day. Finally!

Pan fried two pancakes to crispy outer layer and smooth and fluffy inside but ate one. Mom cooked an early lunch, so I settled for a 10.45am brunch and left a buttered pancake under a food cover. Well, that made tea.

Spent the rest of the hours watching Rachael Ray, Take Home Chef and an encore telecast of a Chinese drama. I was mostly watching cooking programmes. If you do not know me by now, I am one obsessed kid in the realm of televised food shows.

Around 2.30pm, I figured enough was enough and put on some trainers. Scaled 50 stories (or 100 if you considered walking down stairs scaling of some sort). As I speak, my hamstrings ache.

3.30pm and I was in the kitchen, portioning cooked rice in dog bowls. I believed it was then I told my mom for the 500th time how much I enjoyed topping my dogs’ meals with dollops of  processed carrots. It reminded me of those assembly-line food serving tuckshops. I could work in those canteens all day.

4pm and it was time to prep for the evening out. Euis invited Jeremy, Shawn, Suzanna and I to her uncle’s gallery opening. Some part of me was an eager beaver.

By 5pm, I was by my desk and figuring out some tutorial work. The workaholic in me simply cannot be tamed.

6.10pm: Bounding out the door in those 400-inch heels I have not worn for perhaps 300 years. That pair is hardly campus hiking friendly. Well, I should be out shopping for flats once I am done with the final examination. By golly I will! Was by the bus stop trying my hardest to finish up a chapter of Jane Moore’s Perfect Match.

Boarded 61 and met Jeremy by 6.20pm. I track time like a hound dog.

Pity Shawn and Suzanna could not make it as it would have a helluva reunion! Believe it or not, with the explosive (Jeremy’s word of the day) combination of Euis’ devilish brownies (more on that later),  I swear we would be rolling down the hill, along Chip Bee Gardens in knots of laughter.

7.15pm and we made it to the gallery. Sipped on diet coke and made friends with as many people Euis could introduce to us. Though regretfully,  I was apprehensive self around strangers. I caught myself more than once, tongue-tied. I was also a mess by not being able to participate in critiquing artwork.

Admittedly, abstract art captivates me as the void seems to be calling out to me, wanting to be discovered and filled. However, my days as a filler are far, off into the distance, slightly out of reach. Oh well, may honing it be one of my aspirations then.

Munched on some finger food at the gallery (Those brownies especially; with their crumbly crust.), met 3 pooches (such darlings) and strolled along Chip Bee Garden with Jeremy, looking out for dinner.

At 9.15pm, we left the gallery for a bit (much to our guilt as Euis was still stuck at work) and made our rounds at Holland Village looking for dinner. After an intense search and careful decision, we settled for Burger King.

Jeremy ordered a $10.35 Double Whopper meal while I savagely polished off a croissan’wich. I swear the infusion of mayo and buttered croissant was the stuff of heaven. At least close to, if my exaggeration was less apparent. Caught up with 6 months’ of lost time at the second level of the fastfood joint. 9.35pm was pretty close to closing (11pm) thus the restaurant was hollow, devoid of people.

Quiet. Peace. Still.

The meal ended around 9.56pm and a walk back to the gallery ensued.

The bright lights from Pantry Garden remain lit even at 10pm. I have a soft spot for all things bake, baked or baking so barging into the store was a pretty rational idea to me. Instead, I refrained and continued walking back to the gallery while conducting a hefty discussion.

A couple of minutes later, I had a glass of red wine in hand and no idea what type it was. Anyway, I fail as a wine connoisseur but qualify as a brownie ravager on all levels. Euis makes the greatest brownies (Jeremy admit it too)!

11.15 came and went. We bid our goodbyes and left with a promise to meet around the 16th of February. I  hugged Euis twice for approximately 50 seconds each time. I sure missed her like how a child misses their blanket.

By 11.50pm, I was home and probably exhausted.

Quelle journée, quelle journée.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: